Positive performance for Mobile phones on December 2013 vs. December 2012 both in Volume (+14.4%) and in Value (+31.2%)
Positive performance and further growth for Smartphones on December 2013 vs. December 2012 both in Volume (+91.8%) and Value (+73.6%). The presence of Smartphones still remains significantly small, since 79.5% of consumers during December 2013 preferred to purchase a normal Mobile phone instead of a Smartphone (Fig 1.0).
Average Retail Price
The Average Retail Price of Mobile phones, has slightly increased on December 2013 by +14.7% and reached the amount of 3,083 PKR. The same period last year (December’12) the average selling price for Mobile phones was 2,689 PKR.
The Average Retail Price of Smartphones, has faced a decrease on December 2013 by -9.5% and reached the amount of 16,766 PKR. The same period last year (December’12) the average selling price for Smartphones was 18,523 PKR.
Market Drivers for Smartphones
- Android OS: major driver of Smartphones market in December 2013
- Volume: With an 87.7% market share upon the total sold devices in December’13, devices with Android OS is definitely the preferred choice of consumers for this period. This segment witnessed a massive growth of +165.6% compared to December’12.
- Price: The average Price for the devices Android OS was significantly reduced by -18.4% compared to December 2012 and reached the amount of 15,485 PKR.
- 2 < 5 MP Camera: show significant growth in December 2013.
- Volume: Almost 17.2% of the total sold Smartphones in December 2013 were devices with 2 < 5MP Camera. Over the same period last year (Dec’12), 2 < 5 MP Camera smartphones used to represent 22.1% of the total volume.
- Price: The Average Retail Price for 2 < 5 MP Camera devices has been increased by +1.3% compared to Dec’12 and reached the amount of 10,583 PKR.